Tuesday, February 27, 2007

songs of enchantment

I am so psyched that I'm doing the happy happy dance of joy!
Can't you see me? I'm spinning and jumping, with my arms flailing!
Can't you hear me? Yips of joy and shouts of "Waaaahoooo" are echoing off the walls!


I am going to see Loreena McKennitt! In April! In Boston!
I can't believe this!


If you've never heard that ethereal voice, listen here, there are little sound bites to give you a taste. She's amazing! Her music is haunting and heart-wrenching, energetic and alive, with pipes and drums and pianos and harps and all manner of orchestral instruments.

The music evokes images of dancing 'round bonfires during the solstice in swirling long skirts, calling down the magic of the old gods. It's Shakespeare and Tennyson and Blake in song.

This is something I've been looking forward to for 13 years, since my friend and I discovered her music and swore that if Loreena was playing anywhere nearby, no matter the cost - we would find the money and go. And go we shall, to Boston! To spend the day wandering downtown, to check out the shops, to find little out of the way and interesting places to have lunch and dinner and then top the evening off listening to the enchanting voice of Loreena McKennitt!

No comments: