Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Today's business report brought to you by Faery Tree Creations...

I know I've said it before, but I am a firm believer that everything that happens, happens for a reason. Like how I buy books years before I ever get around to reading them because obviously, my subconscious knows I need this book even if I'm not ready for it...someday, I will be.

I also believe that until you are meant to do something, the Universe will prevent you from actually doing it...then suddenly *poof* it's time to do that something and there are absolutely no obstacles in your way and you wonder, "Why didn't I do this before?" - uh...'cause you weren't supposed to.

I know you've seen these guys before:

but I've always wanted to sell them at craft shows...like the big ones put on by the United Craftsmen of Maine - such as this weekend's 39th Annual Cumberland Arts & Crafts Show (which I will be missing, unfortunately). Only you have be a member of UCM and in order to do that you have to have a state tax ID number. So I looked into this a few years ago and how to start a business in Maine and can I tell you, I was in CONFUSION CENTRAL! I didn't know what flippin' form to use? I didn't understand what some of the terminology meant and I didn't have the patience to deal with people at Maine Revenue. So I tried selling these guys on Etsy and Ebay and at one rinky dink craft show that was poorly attended. And now I know why there seemed to be so many obstacles in my way...because it wasn't time. I wasn't ready.

Yesterday, I filed for an EIN with the federal gov't...ONLINE! Easy-peasy! And then, I found all the answers to my questions about filing for a state tax ID number...AND FAXED THAT OUT! Now I just have to wait for the State to send me back my info and I'll be sending in my membership application to the United Maine Craftsmen, so that next year, I can rent my space at the various craft shows and get some creations out there!

So Faery Tree Creations will be a real business entity very very soon! How cool is that? And if anyone is saying, "I can't believe you didn't know how to do this earlier" - hush your face, I get frustrated easily! Me and patience...we have a tendency to be like oil and water.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Congrats! I admire your bravery. The fairies are adorable~you'll go far.