I've been tagged by Cathy to do a meme and think of 6 things to share about what makes me...well...me:
1. I don't like patterns - you know, like sewing patterns - because I have a hard time reading/interpreting them and I always screw it up...or bring it to my mother and whine, "I don't get it! Show me" or "MUM!! Fix it?" (yeah, I'm a big baby, I know). I'm a very visual learner - if I can't picture it in my head, I get frustrated and I don't want to do it and it will take me six years to ever come back to it and try it again. Patterns I'm currently avoiding: the wrap around shirt pattern that I started three years ago...actually, any shirt pattern and possibly the jacket pattern that I'm attempting now if the sleeves don't start behaving!
2. When I get into an elevator, I always try to stand near the panel of numbers and away from the door. Why? Because in the movies, if ever there is a gun battle, the people standing near the doors get riddled with bullets. Now I don't ever expect to be in an elevator when there is a gun battle going on, but this is the way my brain thinks (and its better to be safe than sorry).
3. & 4. I get cravings for certain kinds of foods, eat them constantly, get sick of them and then can't eat them again for months, sometimes years, because the site of that kind of food makes me feel ill. One summer when I was in high school, I developed this thing for frozen burritos; ate them all summer long and to this day I can't stand the site of them (for more than just the obvious reason that they're a frozen processed food) - it's like that stomach sinking quivery feeling that you associate with that time when you got drunk and violently ill on tequila, remembering how you started the evening in someone's apartment downing shots and then somehow ended up at the bar that all your friends and boyfriend worked at, with a pitcher of tequila sunrise in your hand (lots of tequila, very little sunrise) and you were pretty sure that it wasn't the first pitcher...and then there's a big blank space where memories should be, but aren't...and then you remember being in the back of the coat check room with your head in a 5 gallon bucket, lined with a trash bag, letting loose, with a good friend of your boyfriend (that you've never met but heard many stories about) watching over you. Oh tequila, you will never be my friend again.
5. Cleaning the caps of acrylic paint relaxes me. No, seriously. If you've ever used acrylic paint, you know how it dries on the inside of the flip top lid and underneath (when you twist off the cap). I love to dig that dried (semi-dried) paint out with a stylus - I don't know why, but it appeals to my anal retentive, mildly OCD side.
6. I associate people and places with smells and/or songs:
** my Dad = chapstick (the original with the black label) and Eddie Rabbit's "I Love a Rainy Night"
** my Gram = bacon, eggs and toast (because her house often smelled like breakfast to me) and any Newfie music
** my Ma = any home cooked meal (roast beef, esp.) and anything on the oldies station
** my brother = clean laundry and anything by Warren Zevon or Mark Knopfler
** the Maine Legislature = crappy coffee and popcorn and local school choruses
** my old roommates from my third year at University = Bob Marley "No Woman, No Cry" (this was always the last song The Social Club played at closing time. The boys and I would leave whomever we were dancing with and the four of us would dance all together in a circle, singing this song at the top of our lungs) and Tim Horton's coffee.
** Juliana = Green Forest or Ocean incense and Concrete Blonde's "Darkening of the Light"
There...6 things I bet you never knew about me. I'm going to be that terrible fence-sitter type and tag anyone who wishes to play along!
And hopefully, I'll remeber to start taking pictures again. I don't think I've used my camera in 2 weeks - how sad is that?