Monday, March 03, 2008

Introducing....Squeaky Squeaky

Do you remember when I went thrift shopping, I picked up that book from the 1970's on soft toys and how I had "an idea brewing in my brain with regard to the stuffed animals, something that needs a little more thinking on and a little more research on"?

Well, the thinking and researching are done. I present to you a new Etsy shop dedicated to squeaky dog toys...Squeaky Squeaky!!When I first picked up the soft toy book, I thought, "these are so cute - they'd make great dog toys" and it inspired me. I checked out the dog toy situation on Etsy (of which there are a few) but didn't see anything like what I had in mind. I looked for squeakers and found some for 23¢ each and then created a prototype for my Sadie. I thought if Sadie liked them, maybe other dogs would, too. I used funky cotton fabric, cotton thread and polyester fiberfill, then satin stitch the seams for added strength. I'm starting off small, as you can see, with snakes, but I have ideas for other animals mapped out; things like frogs, ladybugs, octopi. I've hand drawn all the patterns, so no copyright infringement on the book - it just served as inspiration. And every toy gets the Sadie Stamp of Approval!

Oh, Nymmy liked Sadie's snake so much, that I had to make another that has a sack of catnip in it for him and Tallulah to share (I use the word "share" very loosely - the two fight over it)! Who knows, maybe I'll expand into catnip toys and Squeaky Squeaky will not only be for the funky dog, but for the cool cat, too!

No comments: