Thursday, July 24, 2008

Can Bread Be Beautiful?

Just look at that bread! Isn't it beautiful? I made it yesterday...

after I tried using a non-bread machine recipe with the bread machine. I think I nearly burned the motor out of it - it was smelling funny and my brother saw a bit of smoke! Oops! So I went with a classic white bread (machine) recipe and man did it come out good.

I'm on a quest to find the perfect recipe to mimic the white bread my Gram used to make. I don't think any of the women in my family have ever been able to duplicate her bread. I don't know what she did to make it as yummy as it was, to rise as high as it did or cook as thoroughly, maybe it was the pans...or the oven...more than likely it was the recipe, but it sure was the best bread! It sucked in gravy for open faced turkey sandwiches like there was no tomorrow and nothing tasted better the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas than that first turkey sandwich: two slabs of Gram's bread slathered in mayo and cranberry sauce, heaped with stuffing, carrots and turkey (maybe a boiled onion or two and a little sweet potato). Man, I'm drooling! Unfortunately, Gram took her Newfie bread secrets with her when she passed.

Who knows, maybe one day I will track down a recipe that will work. Until then, I'll just have to enjoy the trial and error! :^)

Nym's favorite way to be carried - what a weirdo!

No comments: