Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mother Nature Loves to Mess with Your Head

I’m convinced of this. One day you’re dragging out the long sleeves, the woolies and the mittens…the next you’re back to tee’s & capri’s. It’s starting to be that time of year when you have to plan your wardrobe for both summer and autumn to simultaneously occur in one day – so today it’s a short sleeve top with a cardigan, jeans and ballet shoes (no socks) and I’m fully aware that at some point today, one part of my body will freeze while a different one sweats to death.

Now that the mornings are more on the chilly side, I find myself dreaming of digging out those toasty sweaters, starting the woodstove and making French onion soup…which I had the worst craving for last night, but didn’t have the ingredients.

And speaking of food – I’ve come to realize that I haven’t been very creative with my meals lately and really need to remedy this. Even though I’m only cooking for myself, there’s no reason to eat the same-old same old, boring, blah food all the time. I’ve started looking for recipes for things that are out of the ordinary (for me) but can be created whilst still sticking to the budget. And in my travels through internet recipe sites, I found this recipe that sounds like complete yumminess:

Boursin Cheese and Caramelized Onion Phyllo Packages

2 Tbsp. Butter
2 cups sliced onion
6 sheets phyllo dough
4 Tbsp. Butter, melted
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 packages (5.2 oz.) Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Cheese
Chives, for garnish

In large, non-stick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. Butter over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring occasionally 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Lay one sheet of phyllo on a clean flat surface and lightly brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cover with a second sheet of phyllo, brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cover with a third sheet of phyllo, brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cut phyllo stack down center crosswise and lengthwise to form 4 equal rectangles. Repeat process with remaining phyllo sheets.

Quarter each cheese round and flatten slightly to form eight 2 ½-inch-wide disks. Place one disk in center of each rectangle and top with about 1 round tablespoon caramelized onions. Fold the long sides up and over the middle to cover the cheese and onions. Fold the two remaining sides over to create rectangle shaped package.

Place seam side down on a non-stick baking pan lightly coated with cooking spray and brush each package with melted butter. Refrigerate 1 hour. Bake at 425 degrees Farenheit for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.

I will have to cut this in half (so I’m not eating Boursin Cheese and Caramelized Onion Phyllo Packages for lunch and dinner for a week!), but doesn’t that sound fantastic? I can’t wait to try it! I better add Boursin to my grocery list…and phyllo…and chives…and parmesan, maybe onions too – man it really has been a while since I last grocery shopped; about the only thing I have is butter. Sad, so very very sad.

Anyhoo, have a lovely, lovely day. I am off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend filled with shed cleaning, dump running, a visit here on Saturday with my friend Nicky and a visit here to celebrate a very special person on Sunday.

No comments: