Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Quiet of a Sunday Morning

Every week, I create a list of things to do (sometimes two depending on where I am and what needs to be done) and most of the stuff on these lists get done on the weekend. So by the end of Sunday, everything (or almost everything) is done and crossed off the list...only then I start to think, what did I do for me, to make me feel as though I enjoyed my weekend? I cleaned the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, vacuumed and did dishes - which makes me feel better, 'cause my house is clean, but not really for me and it wasn't relaxing. I washed, dried, folded and ironed laundry - which I had to do if I didn't want to go to work naked during the coming week...but again, not really for me. I lugged wood into the garage and into the house - another must if I wanted to keep my butt warm, but what did I do that was enjoyable?

So this week, I made a conscious effort to check everything off the list by last night. Laundry, dishes, vacuuming, wood, bathroom, living room, dining room, kitchen...all done and cleaned! I woke up at 7:30 (slept in for two hours - whoo hoo!!) and took Sadie on a leisurely Sunday morning walk. I made cinnamon buns for breakfast (something I haven't done in sooooo long). I sat at my recently cleaned off (and cleaned out under) kitchen table with it's bright and cheery table cloth. I ate cinnamon buns and yogurt, drank tea and flipped through a magazine with a little Damien Rice playing...even the animals left me alone until I finished my breakfast (something unheard of in this house, what with the moochy cats and dog that I have!).

I have the day to myself. I created Week 4 of my mini-quilts last night (as you will see tomorrow or right now if you go to flickr). There is absolutely nothing that needs my immediate attention today. I can do whatever I want - draw, or read. I could paint, or go for a drive or plan my garden for the coming season. Or I could do nothing at all. My options are endless right now.

What will I do with myself?

No comments: