It’s a celebratory time here on Mt. Vernon St. Not only is it the annual Bowdoinham Library Plant Sale, it’s also Musings from Mt. Vernon St.’s anniversary! Two years ago this very day, I posted my first entry…a quick little thing with a picture taken at Popham Beach in Phippsburg, Maine and then went on to introduce you to critters, my friend’s chickens, my home and my first visit to the Bowdoinham Library Plant Sale.
I feel like I’ve learned so much from that first year of attending the sale, like the fact that you need to go an hour early to get a good parking spot and…
* you need to have a plan of attack (do you go inside first or outside?)
* you need to bring heavy duty bags with you if you plan to get a lot of stuff (remember your arms can only hold so much)
* always bring cash and tuck it into a pocket (a purse will only weigh you down)
* if you travel with more than one other person, bring a truck (you’ll need the space for all the finds)
* always bring a wagon to cart your plants back to your vehicle (‘cause it doesn’t seem like a long walk down that hill to the main road until you’ve got your arms full of small trees and potted plants)!
I’m really looking forward to this year’s plant sale finds – everything I get down there always grows well! But unlike the last two years where I planned what I needed, this year I’m whim purchasing…if I like it and I can think of a spot for it, I’m buying it! And since it’s such a short trek to Topsham, we may end up going to the Fairground Café at the Topsham Fair Mall (it’s only a little hole in the wall, but the food is good and the servings are generous).